My spirits finally lifted, we set off on our way. Not five miles out of the park, I nearly hit a mama moose and two young calves as they scurried across the highway. My photo collection was missing a good shot of a cow and babies, so I pulled over--Nascar-style-- and whipped out the camera and fired away. No cars were nearby when I pulled off, but moments later, 3 RVs and two cars of tourists were clumped around us. some didn't even bother to pull off the road to take pictures. Dangerous, considering most people go 70mph on that part. I sped away, buzzing off my coffee and victorious camera moment. The drive through Broad Pass was the most uneventful ever. Fog and low clouds covered all the mountains. I pitied the tourists that never get to see it in all it's glorious beauty.
Fast forward to Wasilla. One giant 10 mile long strip mall, the beginning of "civilization", where from here to Anchorage it's all urban, like driving on a Lower 48 freeway outside of a half-mil city. the reason I love Wasilla : DAIRY QUEEN! WE have stopped every time we pass. BLIZZARD! YUM! My coffee buzz was gone and I got cranky! A trip to Kohl's couldn't fix it (though some new Levi's helped). Matt and I agreed that we needed a run. Also, it kept us off the highway at rush hour--great, because we're not used to heavy traffic. So we found the TK Coastal Trail and pounded out a few miles. It was very familiar, being it was the same route our marathon took last year. This was at mile 24-26, and my legs felt much better running this stretch this year. I also wasn't cursing at myself for deciding to run my very first marathon. It was all runner's high this time. Matt and I were impressed by how many people used the trail. Bikers, walkers, runners, bladers---even people walking from hole to hole on a disc golf course. This network of trails is one of the many reasons I love to visit Anchorage.
After a quick sponge bath at the H.S. parking lot (the marathon finish), we paid a visit to REI. somehow we made it out with only $17 less than when we entered. That must be a new record low for us!! :) My other favorite part of the trip is Turnagain Arm--arguably the most beautiful part of the Seward Highway. The inlet is nestled between tall mountains on each side. On a clear day, it is beautiful---so of course, it was foggy. No mountains at all. During a break in the rain, we stopped at the Bird Creek trailhead. some Anc Runners were just finishing running the trail. They told us it was three miles to the top and up 3,000ft. We asked if it was runnable, meaning the surface not the elevation, and one said, "no, but maybe a brisk walk is best". I mentally stashed it in the "future-ass-kicker" run file. There was a race coming up there on Sunday. Too bad we'd be in Seward, three hours away.

All the rain they get makes really BIG plants!
Our campsite for the night was on a pond pullout, just off the Portage-Whittier Rd. Free campsites are always the best. Dirt tent pads, waterfront, and no fees! It was beautiful. With the rain, there were no mosquitoes and we slept like kings that night!!
No comments:
Post a Comment