Tuesday, June 12, 2012

South Marquette Trails 11 Miler


When planning my trip to the U.P., I mulled over the idea of setting up a trail running boot camp with Matt to jump back into trail running.  After some research, we decided that Marquette would be the best place to do this.  A getaway AND seeing some new places, hopefully hilly and technical, because the trail running near my parents’ house isn’t any of those things.

I emailed the race director of the Marquette Trail 50M/50K.  Were there permanent markings on the course?  Would it be easy to find and follow for a long run?  The response I received was surprising, the RD and his wife offered to not only point us to the trails, but to accompany us on a run.  So at 2pm on a Monday afternoon, we found ourselves at the South Marquette trails with Andrew and Stephanie.  Stephanie is an OB/GYN and was on-call all night long, so she stayed for a few miles and then went home to their young kids.  She gave Andrew a chance to go play with us.  We chatted about the local trail community and the differences in where we live and Marquette.  We also found that we have a few friends in common despite never meeting or living in the same place.  After a few loops around a very smooth single-track trail, we emerged atop Mt. Marquette and took in the views of the bay, town, and surrounding areas. 

We covered about 11 miles that afternoon before we had to return to our families.  Emily was waiting for us to pick her up from the mall and Andrew’s family had a busy night of soccer games waiting.  Matt and I enjoyed learning more about the local area and were happy to see how rich the outdoor community is here.  It could be a decent fit for us in the future.

3 comments:

Teamarcia said...

What a cool race director and what a great run! I love the UP!

Mary said...

I used to run there all the time but it definitely was not smooth singletrack. I'm sure its nice but I liked it the way it was. Deserted, rough in spots.

Scott said...

I agree, it was really nice the race director and his wife ran with you. Always cool when someone who is into stuff you are, takes the time to extend a hand.