Saturday, 5/26:
Our final morning on the trail, Tyler
finally mentioned something that I had seen coming, “How would you feel if we
hiked to the next campground and then bribed a camper to give us a ride to your
car? My treat.”
The great thing about the Pictured Rocks coastal trail is
there are numerous bail-out spots. The
next campground was three miles away.
The previous day, I kept thinking to myself, that backpacking this kinda
stinks, but if it were a run, the sights would come every half hour or so,
instead of every 2 hrs.
“I could leave my backpack with you at that campground and
run the rest of the way, if you don’t mind waiting a few hours for me there.” I
suggested.
After repeatedly asking me if I was sure about the decision
to run the thirteen miles to the car solo, I left my backpack on a picnic table
at Twelve Mile Campground and was off with a water bottle in one hand, camera
and snack in the other. In the interest
of saving space, I didn’t bring my usual hiking outfit. Had I done that, I wouldn’t have had the
right things to go for a run. It was a
win-win situation for the both of us. I
got to trail run and he got to nap in the shade while he waited for me.
So off I went along the trail. The only thing that didn’t work out well with
me were my water resistant shorts. Not
that you want to know, but the heavy seams chafed my butt crack something
fierce as I ran along. Since it was a
pretty heavy mileage week with the marathon just four days before and my
longest backpack days, it was admittedly pretty slow. But the terrain was much flatter than I was
used to and I found myself still managing a respectable pace.
I dodged roots in the trail, hit the beach, passed the light
station and Shipwreck Graveyard (a ship hull is lodged on the beach, it is
pretty cool). As I passed a group of
hikers about midday, I heard one say
to another, “That looks like fun. Why
did we run on the road this morning before our hike?” Hehe, I couldn’t believe it didn’t dawn on
them until they passed.
My heart leaped with each footstep. Trail running, I really do love you more than
backpacking. One stretch of trail went
through five miles of virgin forest. I
heard nothing but my footsteps and the birds in the trees. It was beautiful. Running through the woods is my favorite. I couldn’t believe how the fatigue that
morning had turned to exhilaration.
This was definitely the right decision!
I got to see the rest of the sights, got to run this perfect trail with
only my thoughts.
Thirteen miles after I left Tyler,
I found the parking lot. I quickly drove
to pick him up, caught an outhouse baby wipe bath and we headed for
Munising. My first stop after returning Tyler
to his car was where? You guessed it,
that Dairy Queen. I had a hot dog and
Oreo Cheesequake Blizzard. I returned
home on a different road, stopping in Marquette
along the way. I was pretty pooped and
needed a little bit of a walk to wake up.
I settled for Lower Harbor
Park and the massive ore shipping
docks.
Matt and I will be returning to Marquette
next week to do some trail running, I’m really looking forward to it. Matt and I have just three or four locations
we wouldn’t hesitate to move to. Marquette
is definitely one of them. Openings
don’t come often, so it may be a wait for this particular place, but it
definitely has all we need. A bonus is
that our families are within a day’s drive.
My parents are 2 hrs, his 10 hrs.
Pretty good buffer if you ask me.
3 comments:
I went to law school with a woman who grew up in Marquette. I hear they have good pasties there.
Ahh, you must have felt so free to get that run in!! Have you tried ShowerPill for post run/workout wipe downs? Like a baby wipe but less sticky feeling afterwards.
Grew up there, would never return. I think I would like trail running more than backpacking if I had nice trails like those instead of scary rocky ones where you fall and hurt yourself. But then again l do love backpacking. Sorry it wasn't that fun.....guess running it would have been the better choice.
Post a Comment