Monday, June 11, 2012

Family Visit Introduction

In the past, family visits have always been predictable. Always the same issues, the same routines, the same everything really, it seemed as if time had stood still while I was away. But this time was different, eye-opening, in fact. With my mom’s diet-controlled diabetes and Dad’s recent heart attack, they both are on very strict diets. Unfortunately, they are on virtually opposite diets. Mom must limit carbs, but can enjoy fats and salt as she pleases. Dad can have all that she can’t, but he has to limit the salt and bacon.
 Dad gets some new kicks for his birthday.  He loves these for being on his feet all day at work and his daily walks.  Asics 2160s.
Both have taken up walking and are up to about an hour a day. Although they are not perfect, it seems that this change has brought on better moods. They both walk solo and enjoy the quiet to think. I just hope that they make these changes permanent, because it isn’t just helping their bodies, but their minds and the sanity of those around them.

My sister eats virtually nothing else but sugar and almost brags of her hypoglycemia (wildly swinging blood sugar) and how she “has to!” eat something loaded with sugar to bring her blood glucose levels back up. I hope that someday soon she will find joy in a healthy lifestyle as well and it won’t have to come with dangerous medical conditions as it has my parents.
 Me with Emily and Mom before a dinner out.
The last three years, I’ve come back to visit them during a marathon taper. I don’t think they realize how active my life has become until I spent a couple non-taper weeks with them. “You’re running AGAIN?” “HOW FAR?” They know Matt and I love to run, but I don’t think they realized exactly what sort of time that takes up. There were many jokes about my appetite. Building miles takes calories, nom nom nom, now they know what kind of eating machine it turns us into. I went on several walks with my mom and dad; I enjoyed the fact that we finally shared the same enthusiasm and accomplishment that a little bit of activity brings.


I also got some much-needed family time in.  From my cousins to my great-grandparents (both in their mid 90’s and still completely with it!) and a lot of aunts and uncles in between, I realized how much I miss having them regularly in my life.
 Sister, Emily; Matt; me; Grandma;and Mom.
 Us with my great grandparents.  Four generations in one photo, that's pretty cool.  Even more cool were Grandpa's stories about his childhood.
 Emily and I with cousins Charlie and Renae.  Can't see the family resemblance, can you?

6 comments:

bobbi said...

What a nice visit with your family! I love the pic of 4 generations - that's something you'll treasure forever...

Unknown said...

Good post! Treasure your family, no matter how quirky they may be. My clan is a collection of odd ducks, but that's what makes us the family we are :-)

Danni said...

It's never too late to get healthy! Better sooner than later though... glad you got to spend some quality family time.

Cinthia said...

Families are wonderful, but can be a bit frustrating too, eh? Kudos to your mom and dad for changing their diets and taking up walking. Give them a hug for me, okay?
Lovely post.

Ewa said...

It is great that your parents can make all those changes, many people cannot even if they know how close they are to wrecking their lives forever. I hope your sister will learn something from their and your example.

Ewa said...

It is great that your parents can make all those changes, many people cannot even if they know how close they are to wrecking their lives forever. I hope your sister will learn something from their and your example.