Thursday, June 14, 2012

Marquette Exploring

One of the biggest reasons I love running is the opportunity to explore the world closely and at my own pace. When I get the chance to run in a new town, I always take advantage, after all: who knows when or if I’ll ever return?

The final day in Marquette required a pretty relaxed run. Straight from our front door, we jumped on a paved bike path. This portion of the path is a new rail-trail recreation path that extends well into Chocolay Township, and feeds into Marquette’s extensive bike path system. In all, there must be over 50 miles. Matt and I ran along the shore of Marquette Bay until we reached the Lower Harbor Park and the ore docks. Although I ran nearly 55 miles in the last five days, I wrestled with myself. No, you idiot, we can’t go longer than planned. We need to rest. Don’t you remember what that is? My inner five year old, begged, pleaded and then threw a tantrum as Matt and I turned around.

We returned quickly after a shower and gathering Emily, to the place that our run had ended. I shouldn’t run more, but walking, that should be allowed.  Hehe, I WIN, I WIN!!!,  my inner child exclaimed.  We explored the downtown area and had the hardest time finding a coffee shop. I hope we were looking in the wrong area, because it is disturbing to think that the people here survive winter without much coffee. I think I’d die without it during snowy winters.

Lunch was a leftovers picnic at Presque Isle Park, near the northern, and still operational, ore docks. Now they are mostly used to unload the coal that fires the local power plants. Emily easily adapted to our low-key travel style. I was surprised, because sometimes she can be a bit of a handful, but one trait we share is our thriftiness, so I think that is what swayed her into picnics and walking a bunch.



That night we had a dress-up dinner out with my parents back in their town. I forgot how much I like to dress up. Here is a photo of us ladies after dinner in the backyard. Don’t you wish this was your backyard, too?

No comments: