One month until SOB 50K....
Did I mention that most of my runs are at an elevation of less than 100 ft.?
An ultra at elevation, what the heck was I thinking?!? How do I prepare for something like this!?
Anybody else have moments of panic like this one?
-----
Second thing:
As most of you have noticed, I keep a Feedjit tracker on the side of this blog. It is fun to see where traffic comes from, from both internet sites and around the globe. Once a month or so, when I feel like I'm just talking to myself, I'll look at the feed to see that, "oh yeah, maybe somebody is actually reading after all".
Today I stumbled upon a website I hadn't heard of before. Several visits came from this site, which appears to be a runner forum. I read through the page until I found someone referencing my blog.
Whomever you are, Thank you! I'm glad you enjoy my blog enough to recommend it to others! That is very sweet of you! However, we ran a 50K race, not a 50 miler....and I have to say the comment about my speed and Hubby's hurt a little. You say he's pretty fast and then use the word I cringe at "BUT", implying that I'm not. Actually, when you compare us without his gender advantage, we place pretty much the same within our age groups. thank. you. very. much.
I read some of the other recommendations and noticed something, including in the information about my own blog: Most posts included information about how fast the person can run.
That got me to thinking about how I choose which blogs I enjoy the most, and it rarely has anything to do with speed. If I'm completely honest with you, I sometimes do follow faster people just because they are fast. I look at them as the runner I hope to become.
So here's a list of a few things that I look for in a blog:
1. The writer has a firm grasp on the English language. Occasional typos are okay, but if you're perpetually writing run-on sentences and using poor grammar, I can't handle it.
2. I believe that you should let your own awesomeness show through your actions. Nobody likes when a blogger constantly reminds us how awesome they are on a daily basis. No giant egos, please.
3. Original content. This is especially important on my Tumblr version. If you just re-post things from others and don't really let us know who you are, how can we be interested? This also goes for people that regurgitate training advice that can be found elsewhere on the web.
4. Someone that is real. I enjoy celebrating your triumphs when you kick ass and will be there to encourage you when you fail. A good blogger will share both the happy and struggled moments of their running life.
5. I'm a sucker for good pictures. If you have photos to go with your posts, I will love you forever.
So how do you choose which blogs to follow? Do you choose bloggers that are of a certain speed?
I've heard of people reading only about bloggers slower than them so they feel better than them all, and I've heard the opposite too, so they have something to aspire to. I really love following a bit of both, and it is usually more about the personality of the writer, not how fast they can cross a finish line.


9 comments:
Um yes, plenty of panic moments here too. I know you'll rock that ultra. Know. It.
Hmm what do I look for? Not speed or lack thereof. I like a good writing style, an authentic voice and yes I agree on the ego thing.
Get Off My Internets! That site is one of my guilty pleasures. I don't often look at the forums but the home page usually contains some quality snark about the ridiculousness of mommy and fashion bloggers. I didn't even realize they covered running bloggers. I would consider it an honor to be on the good list of anyone who frequents that site. ;-)
I'd never heard of that site and don't care about whether a blogger is fast. I can't really say how I pick blogs I read -- there's no rule really.
You know, I forget how I found you but you are one of my favorite bloggers in the whole blogosphere (GUSH). I sometimes choose bloggers for speed and accomplishment. I try to read all the Oiselle bloggers, just because I like to see what my "teammates" are up to. I look for good stories, a good sense of humor, decent writing style. I also have to be able to relate, and that doesn't mean speedwise, I get inspired by faster runners and I like to look into their training but if they have a boring personal life or just don't write very well or post pictures, they don't stand a chance at regular readership with me.
Also, don't you worry about the 50K you are damn strong. You got this AND don't read into what the GOMIers say about your speed, they can be really brutal without a ton of information on people. Remember we all put ourselves out there for anyone to read, and opinions are like, well.. you know the saying... everyone's got one.
Well, I think you are fast. I like blogs mostly by women who are out there doing cool stuff. I don't follow a ton of running blogs. I don't really consider myself a runner anymore so its not as interesting to just read training plans.
You are going to rock the run.
Panic? Oh yes. Often.
I read voices I like. Usually voices of people who do stuff that's cool, or tell about real life in a way that resonates with me. It's hard to say what that "thing" is that makes me come back, but you have it my friend :)
(have you linked to your tumblr here?)
Someone said "but" about your speed? Whoa...that is one tough customer 'cuz you're speedier than the average bear, for sure!
I read blogs for so many different reasons. A blog has to capture my attention in some way...either because it's funny or it makes me think or it brings forth emotions or it teaches. Entertainment-factor is huge for me when it comes to reading blogs.
Runnin-wise, you could probably kick the butt of the blogger who referenced you as "but," hee, hee. You are one tough and cool woman, which is totally why I follow your blog. Plus you are real and honest. What's speed got to do with? (sorry for stealing your line, Tina Turner). Though you are waaayyy faster than me, Karen, so I do think of you as speedy.
And don't worry, you'll rock the
50K.
Post a Comment