Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Snowy Giants, Yosemite 1.

(Journal from Nov. 7, 2011)

Our first experience in Yosemite National Park was in the Mariposa Grove. It was like watching my favorite movie, but in a different language. I knew what was going on, but somehow it wasn't the same. Giant Sequoias, cousins to the trees I see everyday back home (Coastal Redwoods), towering above me, looked the same from the ground. To them, we were just little specks in the snow. But upon closer inspection, the bark was drier and more red than the redwoods. They looked thirsty. Don't worry trees, you're getting a drink soon.


The rain that had fallen the day before the marathon fell as snow at this elevation. The Sequoias were coated in snow. The sun shone through the branches and reflected back into my face. Fourty degrees and all the snow I could want, the mountains in California really do hold a monopoly on the good parts of winter. This is what I imagine heaven to be like. Matt and I hobbled around, covering maybe three miles total. My legs didn't hurt, but were incredibly stiff from the night's sleep. This would be a recurring theme throughout the week.


We wanted to reach Yosemite Valley before dark, so we pressed on. We stopped for a quick lunch at an overlook and then again at Bridal Veil Falls. The trail was paved and crowded with people. We didn't stay long at all. For me, one of the biggest draws of nature is not having to deal with other people. When I'm out hiking and enjoying the views, I don't want to be next to someone that never shuts up. Everyone has the right to enjoy nature in their own way, but mine involves a whole lotta quiet time. We snapped a few photos of the falls and were on our way.


After checking in at our unheated tent cabin in Curry Village, we were glad we weren't paying the summertime rates. $40 a night was plenty expensive. We would have camped for the week, but we decided that if we wanted our bodies to hold up for the week, we'd have to take resting seriously. This involved sleeping off the ground.

Overall, the day was great. We did as much walking around as we could handle. Just two short hikes, really. The hardest part of the day was getting in and out of the car. As I strategically positioned my butt over the car seat and then let myself fall into the seat, Matt said, "You know, this is a preview of what being old is like." Hopefully being active will fend off the old age thing for a long, long time. My quads and calves were tight, but they didn't hurt. I almost wanted to run to relieve the tension. We power-walked around to the visitor center and it felt really good to actively loosen up. tomorrow, we head up the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point. 3,500 ft of elevation gain. We'll see how we handle it. A headache at 5,000 ft already, no good. Hopefully sleep will fix things.

While walking around Yosemite Village. Matt and I were discussing what to have for dinner. We had to plan things out strategically since the nearest cooking area was 3 miles away. Then I asked him what stove he had packed. "I didn't pack one," he replied. "Ummm...neither did I," I said. So we made one last-minute stop to buy a cheap camping stove and some fuel. It ended up cheaper than eating our dinners out, but now we have four camp stoves. Anybody need a new one?

Total weekly mileage : 29.2

1 comment:

Ewa said...

Yeah, I could add one more camp stove to my collection. :-)
Yosemite looks so pretty covered in snow. I just have to make a trip.