After crossing the Bay, we were heading into uncharted territory for us. The drive from Hayward inland was unbelievably ugly. As we drove south on Hwy 99 toward Fresno, we drove into farmland. We had trouble finding a radio station that wasn't in Spanish. Just one of the many signs that we were heading into heavy immigrant areas. We stopped about halfway down the highway at a Marshalls and Target. I bought some Airborne. The sudden change of environment caused my allergies to attack. I could use all the immune boost I could get.
When we got to Fresno, we visited REI. After two hours, Matt and I emerged with a day pack and a pair of snowshoes. C'mon Yosemite, bring. on. the. snow.
The race expo was really nice. I don't usually comment at all about them, because they are typically a barrage of cheap clothes and pamphlets. But this one, I got a free 5 minute massage, I tried out a pair of Newtons, and ended up with a race shirt in MY SIZE. (You have no idea how rare this is sometimes!!)
It was an expensive day, but I'm all outfitted now for some winter training.
Notes :
I really love traveling with Matt. It is rare for us to get in some quality time without any other distraction.
Alex loaned us Prefontaine, helped us get into the racing mood.

Tomorrow the time changes, so I get an extra hour to sleep. I ran a marathon on this weekend last year too and that hour makes a HUGE difference.
Forecast of rain, so I made a last-minute change to my outfit : long sleeves and gloves. So glad I brought one of everything.
Tomorrow : Two Cities Marathon.

2 comments:
I always thought it'd be nice to do a race the day after the time change, but never have. I'm excited for the rest of the story :)
Can't wait to hear more!
Post a Comment