On the plus side, the climate dries out my typically oily skin and hair. In fact, it has looked great the whole trip!
While Chris and Evan slept, I guzzled two bottles of water and downed some Special K. I felt satisfied enough. No longer had the urge to jump in a swimming pool and breathe in the water for relief. I set out on a run, no particular distance or speed in mind, just do what I felt My ipod was charged and my shoes laced. The 80F at 8:30am sun burned on my skin. I savored the shady spots which felt 10F cooler than in the sun. I set off at an 10:15/mi pace. It felt sluggish and very similar to my first miles with a full camelbak--loaded with bricks. Eventually, I let the sun and music wash over me. My pace increased as I rolled over the gentle slopes. My lungs felt loose and my legs glided effortlessly. By mile 2.5, on my final uphill, it felt like I was back home, at a mere 400ft rather than 7,200. I cruised up to a 9:00/mi pace, similar to an easier hill pace at home. Then by mile 3, I was going my usual pace of 8:30/mi for a short run. I wanted to continue on but a dry throat and stringy spit that clung to my lip forced me to stop. I knew it was time for a drink. WATER! After two more bottles and a shower, I was finally prepared to start my final day in New Mexico's Atomic City.
We headed out to Bandelier Nation Monument. I had a full camelbak and two water bottles--ready for one more desert day. The 2.5 mile hike is what Alaskans would call an "interpretive trail", basically meaning anyone could do it and read signs along the way. The 90+F, no wind valley was BRUTALLY hot. I could almost feel my thick Alaskan blood thin. Within the first few minutes, my shirt was soaked through. I had strategically chosen a quick-dry shirt for the occasion. We climbed ladders into rocky caves that the natives had lived in. Shady, cool, wonderful. Now I know what these people did before AC was invented. They didn't just suffer through it after all. In these caves, carved from volcanic ash (from the Caldera), existed an impressive labyrinth of rooms within the rocky wall.



Just as my fragile, sun sensitive left arm sounded the sunburn warning, winds picked up and rushed around us and a dark cloud formed overhead. As the trail followed the rocky cliff, lightning danced off in the distance. Matt has always wanted a lightning picture, so I tried (and failed) to get one. I did, however, find a weather station hidden near one cave. I wonder how often the anemometer moves in this spot?

We lunched on a bench, vowing to continue on even if it was raining. We took a spur trail through giant Juniper trees to the Alcove House.

There were a series of four wooden ladders leading us into the sky 160 ft above the trail. My nerves sent my heart racing. "Stare at your hands, it's all good". At the top of the last ladder, there was an alcove, complete with it's own kiva. Although it was a HOT hike, I think that it will forever rank as one of my favorites!

Chris needed a nap, so I went back to the museum. I wanted to give it my full attention, so I did it in parts. It was put together by LANL and basically puts out this message : " We made really great nukes. Mess with us and you're going down." Maybe in a more PC way, but that was basically it. One of the more interesting museums I've visited.
I stopped at a rose garden for a shady water break near Fuller Lodge.
That night Chris took me up to a ski resort above town to check out the city lights. On the way there, we saw many elk, with huuuge antlers. My first sighting of elk. They were shy, it was dark, no photos.
No comments:
Post a Comment