~ A five hour flight surrounded by cranky babies is THE BEST birth control. Double if the flight is overnight.
~ Albuquerque has too much traffic for a country girl that doesn't know where she's going.
Matt has always saved my blood pressure on previous trips by driving in bigger cities. The biggest city I'm comfortable with is Green Bay, because I know the roads like a local.
~ Holy hotness. It's really dry here, which makes the heat okay. I guess I was expecting Oklahoma and remembering living there (not so fondly) and nearly melting ALL DAY LONG. So I was pleasantly surprised.
I stopped in Santa Fe to kill some time while Chris was at work. I found an outlet mall, with a Nike outlet--heaven for this gear junkie-- running from one AC shop to another. I came out with shorts and gloves in Nike and a cute tote bag from a cheap teen shop.
Since Fairbanks is at 400ft, I have been worried about altitude (mountain) sickness. I researched prevention tips and created a plan : Ginko Biloba and lots of water.

The drive from Santa Fe to Los Alamos was beautiful. Santa Fe reminded me of Anchorage, minus the trees and water, of course. More in the city-nestled-in-the-mountains way.
After passing three Dairy Queens, I had to stop. Gazing at the menu with a gurgling stomach, I forced myself to order food instead of ice cream. It took every shed of willpower too, let me tell you!
The highway twisted through between mesas and up, scaling the cliffs on the rim. The speed limit was 40mph, but I was so terrified that I went about half that. It's even scarier when I saw flowers and cross memorials along the way. EEK!
Chris and I took a walk through town. I was sort of envious that he is able to walk everywhere. That's what I miss most about living in Mount Pleasant. I don't like relying on my car so much. I was tired from little sleep, so we had dinner and I went to bed at 8pm (6pm AK time). When I go places in the summertime and there's a sunrise and sunset, I find that I'm very sensitive to the light...mostly when it changes. I am up at the moment the sun is halfway up and out just after sunset.
No comments:
Post a Comment