Saturday, July 10, 2010

Being an Adult (the fun part)

This morning, Matt and I ran a grueling run up and down Ester Dome, starting at EQ mile 9 and following it to Henderson and taking that back. It was 13 miles with 7,000ft of elevation change. ...and it was the most difficult run of my life. Up until this run, I was feeling pretty confident in my trail running. Somewhere near the top of Ester Dome, drenched in sweat, gasping for air, and wondering if my heart would explode... I lost my confidence. If you find it cowering in the bushes on the way up to the top, return it to my house. I miss it dearly.

Matt recently received special cash awards for his extra projects at work and we decided it was time for some adult furniture, brand new from the store. Up until this point, we've purchased really cheap used furniture or found it at the dump. We definitely didn't have anything that looked really nice. It was time for a new couch. We perused the two furniture stores in town, and followed Craigslist for awhile and were deciding on two couches at the first store. Today, we returned to that store, still unsure what we wanted to get. One couch was on 8-10 wk back order, and the other could be shipped from Anchorage in 10 days. Of course, we decided on the back-order one. As we were making our final decision, the sales lady kept pushing us to make a decision. "What are you afraid of?" Um... dropping that kind of money on one thing? How about that? Being really cautious about our spending is how we're able to pay for stuff with cash and aren't in any financial trouble. I like being apprehensive. As we put down our 20% deposit, I couldn't help but feel a sense of pride as we didn't have to go through the "financing" line before the cashier. So sometime near my birthday, we will have a beautiful, brand new brown couch. It comes with matching pillows, too. I like this part of being grown up! Furniture that you don't have to lift out of a dumpster! :)

3 comments:

sea legs girl said...

I am SO jealous you have access to mountains to train in. Do NOT get down on yourself. You are training in the mountains to get better, right? You have to start somewhere and running up a mountain is do different from running on level ground... you are putting your heart to work more than your legs.

I have to say I think most of the furniture we have could qualify as "dumster" furniture. We bought a really nice table after we moved that then broke in the moving van from the store and rather than buring a new one, we took the broken one. Man are we cheap and I am so proud. But it is smarter to get something nice that lasts, which is sounds like you guys are doing.

Karen said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm running that particular route because it is along the course of my Sept marathon. In difficulty, it's 2nd only to the Pikes Peak Marathon in CO. Gonna kill me.

Speaking of trail marathons, I'm jealous you get to run the Grand Island one. As a born-and-raised Yooper, I bet it's gorgeous.

So many people in the US aren't frugal when they should be, I think it caught this lady off guard a little. Half of my furniture has literally been pulled from a dumpster, so buying something new is a HUGE deal.

sea legs girl said...

Wow, how many typos could I make in 1 comment (sorry!)? Oh and I need to take the Grand Island Marathon off our schedule: it filled up before we signed up :(. But that is okay since I'm running a 50 miler the weekend before. It was quite unrealisitc. What is the marathon called you will be running?