In our three years of marriage, I have finally figured out how to balance all my work with him. At first, we split the chores 50/50. Since my (paying) job was more sporadic, it seemed that I always ended up doing his things anyways. Now we have a plan that works a lot better, and makes both of us happier. He does dishes. PERIOD. From time to time, I do dishes for him if he's had a particularly busy week, and he helps me clean the bathroom or do laundry sometimes. I still remind him to clean up crumbs he leaves all over the kitchen and to put things away after they've sat out for a week (and he does so for me too). I like that we've finally gotten things to the way they work for us. On days he works, I catch up on things around here.
I guess that makes me a housewife. That's alright. It used to bother me that I didn't have anything to say when new people ask what I do. The biggest problem was that it seemed everyone my age was working and I didn't. It's mostly because they had to work, not that they had a choice. Since Matt and I lead a relatively simple life as far as spending goes, working is an option. Sometimes it feels like being a "trophy wife", a term I prefer to housewife, isn't enough. Those thoughts usually coincide with thinking of starting a family, but I don't want to do that because I'm bored. Not a good enough reason.
What do I do everyday? In a word : hobbies. I read, play piano and sax, craft, garden, and keep the house squeaky clean. It's awesome :) Maybe someday I'll learn to squeeze a profit out of that, but for now, it's all good. My life makes me happy.
No comments:
Post a Comment