I haven't loved all of the dozen places I've lived, but I have always had a favorite spot. It's that picture perfect view that illustrated the things I love about it and includes none of the bad: the UW-Green Bay Arboretum, the spot Matt proposed on our running route in Mt. Pleasant, the way Chena Ridge changed from a golden fall to a sleepy white tapestry striped with naked cottonwood trees, and the view of Arcata Bay from the Samoa bridge. But just as they say that your first love is unlike any other, my first nature spot will forever remain my most precious.
Buried deep within an Upper Peninsula nature park's web of trail lies mine. On the shoreline of this peaceful lake, the smaller of two sharing the same name, lies a large boulder. Nothing particular remarkable adorns my special place. Canada geese swim peacefully just as they do on every other northern lake in the summertime.
Growing up in the woods, I spent my childhood climbing trees, building forts, and riding my bike. Even though most parents prefer their children ride in town where they can't get lost, I got free reign over this natural area that began just a couple hundred pavement feet away from our front door.
My parents aren't really outdoorsy. Even though they never formally took us hiking, my brother, sister, and I developed basic navigational skills all on our own. I never turned down a trail without looking back for a landmark; I carried crude topo maps and knew north was the one direction with the big hill; and I never left home without a little extra food.
I spent much of my week-long visit on these trails. All sixty running miles were bathed in memories: night swimming, skiing, realizing why one should always know what a snapping turtle looks like, locking Sam's keys in his car and then being assaulted by mosquitoes, feeding the fish with Emily, riding my brand new 10-speed bike on the trails and watching fish jump out of the water from our canoe.
I took an environmental literature class in college. Our first writing assignment was to pick a special spot to write about. Without hesitation, I had already chosen mine. "Looks like I'm going home this weekend", I thought.
As those memories continue to fade with each passing year, my love for this spot and it's significance in not only my past, but hints of the future, only deepens. Don't worry spot, you'll always be my favorite.



5 comments:
Hmm, I am sure I have been there, but can't place it!
I love this post, Karen! I also grew up climbing trees and practically lived in the pastures, fields and woods. What a childhood, eh? Cheers and happy running.
So gorgeous.
I'm trying to think of my special spot. All of Alaska? Yeah, that's it. My favorite places tend to be pretty unaccessible, which means I haven't been there much. I'm not much of a woods/lake person (shocker), but your place looks delightful.
Mary, Isn't it fun how all the lakes in the U.P. look pretty much the same?
Cinthia, Yes! Tomboy childhoods are the best!
Abby, Isn't it though? It's one of those places you want to just go and stare at all day.
Jeano, My favorite places tend to be ones I see on the regular, oftentimes they are ordinary. All of Alaska is pretty special though, I have to agree with you there. Except the mosquitoes, you can keep that for yourself, hehe. :)
Post a Comment