I'm not a fan of 10K races. For me, it's that place where the tough aspects of long distances and short distances come together. Five kilometers is about pushing yourself into that pain line and holding on for dear life. The marathon (or half) is about willing yourself to simply keep moving, watching the discomfort level rise slowly as your legs leaden with lactic acid. Ten kilometers is all of those things combined. They are HARD.
I have only ever run two, both on the same twisting, root covered, hilly mess of the Patrick's Point course. They were horrible, slow, and altogether miserable. During a warmup mile with Paul and Matt, I convinced myself that this flat, double 5K loop, road course would at least score me an easy PR.
Before I knew it, an officer of the Fortuna police department fired a starting gun and we were off. In order to keep myself in check and let the 5K racers leave me behind, I chatted with Caroline. Our conversational pace felt conservative and light....for the first mile or so. When I found myself suddenly unable to speak in anything but broken sentences, I let her go.
After about two miles, the rusty ache returned to my legs. I could already tell it would be a long race. I had spent most of the last two weeks sleeping on a sleeping pad. A chain reaction of tight and sore muscles in my back was set in motion. I noticed my body tighten, helpless to stop it. As I approached the end of the first 5K loop, I found myself envious of the shorter distance runners that were able to stop and grab their slice of watermelon. Approaching the three mile mark, I convinced myself to finish and run straight past that turnaround point.
Then Rachele began her second loop and passed by me. "You're looking strong, Karen!!" she said with a smile. Without thinking, I finished the first loop and headed out for my second. Rachele won't let you give up, you can't either.
First 5K split: 23:11, 7:27/mi.
Of course, I spent most of mile 4 hating my decision. Everything about my day felt awful, even the course. Just like my PR course, it was two loops of 5K apiece. Even though this course was faster, it felt worse. That's because there are exactly two turns in the whole course. You can see the turnaround over a mile away. It doesn't seem to get any closer. The mental power required to keep going far exceeded any other race I have run in.
![]() |
| It looks like this. |
The one thing that perked me up, was what Mj said to me as she passed, a mile from finishing her 5K. "I hope Matthew doesn't lap me!" she called out while quickly glancing over her shoulder. "You look great, don't let him get you!" I said back. She ended up finishing a minute ahead of Matt. Whew, just made it!
On the final turnaround, I spotted Caroline and Rachele again. All three of us looked rough. At least I wasn't the only one feeling miserable. Nearing the fifth mile, fatigue was replaced with self-pride. I didn't give up!! It took everything I had in me to do the second out-and-back 5K, but I did!
I felt my form further deteriorate with each passing step. Up ahead in the distance, I spotted a couple ladies running their cooldown at a pace I thought I could match. My vision zeroed in on them. You can catch them. Don't think, just run. As I passed them, they cheered for me, shouting out, "Finish strong!" I muttered something about trying to do that and one called out, "relax your shoulders". That little reminder relaxed my body enough to push the tension out of my back and arms and I ran freely to the finish line....and my new PR, who I owe all to Rachele. Lately, she's been there when I need the most encouragement!
Second 5K: 24:01, 7:43/mi.
47:13
7:35/mi.
Matt the fasty-pants wonder runner, won the 10K outright in 36:06.
All photos: Y. Kim, SRRC photo credit.





5 comments:
Woohoo for managing a PR on tired legs.
Way to kill your race, even though every fiber of you didn't want too! xxoo, ganeeban
Nice work! I agree - 10K is a tough distance. I think I've only ran two or three of them.
Good job on not giving up! And on the PR of course. I always get a similar tired legs thing after running at altitude; last year it went on for about 4 weeks after just one moderately-high race. It's so annoying that it kind of makes me avoid running at altitude now.
Thanks, Abby!
S, thank you. We all have races like that hey?
Meghan, Same here. This one was my third.
Alicia, It's interesting you say that. I thought I was just getting burned out from being away from home for so long, I didn't even think to connect it to that time at altitude.
Post a Comment