![]() |
| Did you know a default goofy face is genetic? I didn't until this picture. |
One exciting element of this race was that it was a family affair. Since all of us are separated by hundreds of miles, it is rare that we get opportunities like this. My mom and sister walked the 2 mile race and Matt and I ran the 15K. My dad and sister's boyfriend cheered, took pictures, and raided the finish line food while we were out.
![]() |
| The pretty picture. |
Mile 1: 7:23
Mile 2: 7:40
Shortly after the second mile, we entered the trail system I'd spent the entire week enjoying. The course even ran past my favorite spot. I choked back tears as I navigated several short rooted sections. How perfect was it that the final day of my visit included a race through my childhood playground?
![]() |
| This is about mile 3 of the race (taken earlier in the week). |
Mile 4: 7:36
Poking through the haze of nostalgic thoughts, my racing brain began to take over. For the last couple of miles, I was running next to a girl that kept taking the lead, slowing down, and then sprinting to pass me again. She appeared to be working a lot harder than me. I let her take the lead, knowing I'd probably get to pass her without a fight later.
![]() |
| Mile 4. |
Mile 5: 7:54
Mile 6: 7:54
On a long, gradual uphill, the daydreaming in my early miles began to pay off. I passed leapfrog girl and her friend. Soon I found myself running in a gap without anyone nearby. It was peaceful. I often find myself getting lonely during moments like this in road races, but on the trails, it is nice.
Mile 7: 7:51
![]() |
| Aren't these trails perfect? |
Mile 8: 8:04
The final aid station was a godsend. I drank two cups of water and drizzled an icy one over my head. The sudden cold on my hot, dry skin, caused me to gasp for breath, enough to stress my body into a near asthma attack. I coughed and tried to relax as much as possible. I walked a small but steep section of gravel road until I felt my lungs recover.
After one quick turn back onto the trail, I spotted the same man I'd been trailing the last two miles. He was picking his way through a group of runners struggling on the gentle incline. Even if I couldn't catch him, he'd lead me through the pack up ahead and help me pull off a strong finish.
Mile 9: 8:15
When we emerged back on the road, I was just behind a struggling runner. Having run this particular road several times, I knew there was a downhill slope. Even if it wasn't much downhill, I imagined it to be and found myself accelerating at the mere thought of it. I entered the park, slightly stumbling on the broken asphalt as I sprinted along. I heard my name cheered from a shady picnic table nearby. They are the best cheerleaders! A glimpse of the finish clock pulled the remaining kick from my body. 1:12:57....58...59.......
Mile 9-9.3: 2:08 (6:59/mi)
Well, almost made it.
1:13:00
7:49/mi.
4th female
F 20-29: 1st!!
Matt took 2nd overall in 58:41, just behind a cross country runner from Michigan Tech.
![]() |
| We rarely get actual awards for placing in our home races, so this was kinda cool! :) |








3 comments:
Those are some nice-looking trails. It sounds like you had a really strong race, nice job! Did you stop and take those photos during the race?! That would be an impressively chilled-out approach:)
That first picture is amazing. How fun!!!
Alicia, I took those photos earlier in the week during other runs. I would have been a few minutes slower if that were the case. :)
Abby, My family is fun. We're all the same kind of goofy, as that photo illustrates.
Post a Comment