Sunday, October 16, 2011

Humboldt Redwoods Half Marathon

Race prep began on Friday night. Pedicure time!! Matt and I scrubbed the calluses from our feet and gave them a good massage. Adding a pep talk and a stern warning to behave on Sunday. No blisters allowed. I also talked Matt into painting his toenails too, and told him that if he got a PR, that's why, and he'd have to paint them every time.

-----------------------------

Saturday, Matt and I relaxed all day. Then we had dinner with Alex and his girlfriend Jamie.
Race Morning, we were up at 6:00. All week I had been battling my allergies and required Benadryl to sleep. I seemed to have slept well, but awoke groggy. We had breakfast and then drove to the start. The May version of this race, Avenue of the Giants, had such a parking problem that lots of people started late because they were still parking cars. We were advised to be there by 7am. We arrived at 7:30 and parked without problem. Then we waited. Atop the trunk of the car, on the banks of the Eel River, we sipped our Gatorade as the sun came up. Under a completely overcast sky, 5oF, and about 98% humidity, it felt comfortable in my warm ups. Two potty breaks and I was finally feeling ready to race. Nearing 8:40, we hit the porta potties one final time and stripped down to our racing clothes.

This year, the race was the Pacific Association of USATF championships for the half marathon, so there were lots of really fast people. I lined up near Chris, a local masters runner that I've been reasonably close to following. (I want to be like her when I grow up!!). Always lining up too far back and having to dodge people who are completely zoned out to music is really no fun. I seemed to do okay latching on to a local that I knew was running about my speed.

The first few miles were chilly and slightly downhill, pretty normal for the start in those conditions. I usually warm up within the first few miles anyways, no biggie. By mile 4, I was covered in sweat (from that 98% humidity) and head-to-toe goosebumps. I hit every aid station on the course and often considered taking a second cup, but I never did.

Near mile 6, I was struggling, despite a slightly downhill route. With the chilly goosebumps and dehydration, I realized that it just wasn't going to be my day. And I gave up on my goal pace. I haven't had a really really bad race ever, so I knew that I was finally due for one. Being cold finally caught up to me at the halfway point. My neck muscles and shoulders tightened. I physically could not move my jaw. When I get too cold, particularly in my ears or neck, it seizes up my jaw. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's usually about 50 degrees. Had I worn long sleeves or a headband (or even gloves), I like to think it might have mattered, but who knows. But with all those tight muscles, I was having a tough time breathing. My hips started hurting too. They were tight up until this point, but they actually started to hurt now. Sitting outside for 90 minutes before the start really didn't serve me well at all.

About every mile on the second half, I had to stop for about 30 seconds and apply my sweaty hands to the back of my neck to warm things up a little bit. It lasted about a mile before I couldn't breathe again. My jaw was so tight that I could not open or close it. Freaky.

By mile 10, I ran about 8:30/mi and then walked for :30 (with hands on my neck) and it seemed to keep me going without breathing too laboriously on the gentle uphill back to the finish.

With the finish line in sight, I found one last pocket of energy and took off. I crossed the finish line in 1:51.58. I wandered around dizzily for a moment before heading to the aid table. I downed five little Dixie cups of water. As the lady with judging eyes pouring new cups filled my last one I told her, "this is my last one, I promise." I went back to the car and drank an entire water bottle without a second thought. Coffee one hour before race = good. Coffee 3 hrs before race = dehydration. Got it.

The funny thing is that I am pleased with my time. For how much I struggled and how terrible I felt, I can't believe that I finished in 1:51. A sucktastic half marathon is 1:51. Even without a PR (my first time not getting a PR, btw), that time is an accomplishment in itself. One year ago, that was my Fantastic-day-balls-to-the-walls PR time.




Although the course was pretty gradual in changes, it seems that I fell into a giant hole in the earth (about -700ft.) between miles 7 and 8.

The mile in question is the 0.71 mi, which has an accurate elapsed time, but not pace (haha..11:56/mi, c'mon, it's hard
to climb out of that hole when I'm freezing!!)

Also, another thing to show Garmy wasn't always with it : my top speed was 55.9 mph.

1:51.58
8:32/mi.
6th in my AG

Matt rocked his race. Although he also complained of dehydration, he doesn't whine like a little girl like I do is tougher mentally than I am. His new PR time :

1:29.30
7:50/mi.
55th overall
6th in his AG
and second of ALL the local runners.

3 comments:

Danni said...

Yup it's great when you feel awful, dial it in and still get a good time. I hope you're feeling better.

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

Sorry it didn't go quite a planned, but you still had an awesome time considering everything! Also--now Matt always has to paint his toenails, right?!

Alicia said...

Even though you felt cold and dehydrated you did great!! I'd love to get to the pace you're at for a half marathon. I'm impressed :) Cute toenail polish too!