Thursday, December 16, 2010

Wimp

"Fairbanks : -36. Eureka : +39F. Nice."

This was my Facebook status the other day. A friend of mine, whom lives in Kenai, AK, and is secretly jealous that we live somewhere warm called me a wimp for enjoying the temperature difference. It really bothered me that he thought I wimped out and moved to somewhere warm. Until my run today.

On top of a fence post (you can't see) with the Pacific Ocean north of Arcata, CA.

Matt and I decided that we would go for a run this afternoon, the only sunny day before a what the weatherman says is the worst rainstorm of the season. We headed out for a 15 miler in the sunshine on the Hammond Trail. It was the first sunny day in over a month, so we were ready to go long and just enjoy the afternoon.

The hubby along the trail. Notice the moss growing on the trees. Evidence that it is not
normally this dry and sunny.

Pretty views of the ocean accompanied us the entire way. It was impressive how much more beautiful it looked today than when we ran the trail before, in a light rain. We miscalculated our turn-around spot and ended up with 17 miles at a sub-9:00/mi pace.

Hammond Trail and the Pacific.

Mentally, it felt amazing to be able to run long. My mind has been yearning for one since the marathon. I've been struggling with managing my allergies, so I've been putting a long run off while I felt like crap. Today, all the stars aligned : weather, health (coffee helped), and Matt's day off. We felt great, brought some water, GU, and the camera.

The sunset: beauuuuuuuutiful.

If living somewhere that I can run such a fantastic 17 miler just short of Christmas, I guess I'm okay with being a wimp. So there, Jesse!! :P

No comments: