Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Happy Solstice!

The winter solstice isn't nearly as exciting when living this far away from the Arctic Circle. But on the other hand, I'm not entirely disappointed that I had an entire month of high noon looking like this :

High Noon from UAF West Ridge on the Winter Solstice.
From the UAF Ski Trails, Winter Solstice.

Fairbanks :
Sunrise : 10:58
Sunset : 14:40
Daylight : 3:42

Eureka :
Sunrise : 07:38
Sunset : 16:52
Daylight : 9:14

Did I mention that I ran in shorts this morning? :)

Last night at the band Christmas party, Matt and I sat next to a few other band members whom were lifelong Californians. They were excited for the Winter Solstice, because the days would finally get longer. That made me think of really how much easier it is to live here. My seasonal depression is almost non-existent by comparison to the last few years. I don't have to dress in 14 layers to go to the mailbox. All is good. Californians, I've discovered, are pretty sissy to all things weather related. They don't know how good they have it. Me, I'm soaking it all in, and feeling like I'm completely spoiled and that any day now, Mother Nature will toss me something terrible. Let's hope she doesn't so I can keep on living the dream.

No comments: