Sunday, November 28, 2010

Turkey Trot 5K

What the heck have I been doing lately? I actually had to look back at my previous post to remind myself. I forgot to take my allergy meds one day, the day prior to my last post. It takes forever to get them working, so I stay in a cloudy, stuffed up daze until they work. The clouds cleared up today. Finally.

Thanksgiving was celebrated with a few of Matt's coworkers. They are about the only people we know in town, so it was nice to get an invitation. Before dinner, Matt and I ran the Turkey Trot 5K through Old Town. It was three loops, a lot of repeat distance for such a short race. This made for a really crowded and frantic 5K. Between being cut off by some kids half my size, and dodging walkers as I lapped them, it was chaos. Somehow I do well with chaos, because I squeezed out a 23:55. A new PR by 40 seconds and a placement of 25/300 women. It made me wonder how fast I could be if I actually did speed work and trained for a 5K. Matt got a 20:40 and was 45/300 men. Not a bad way to start the day. The sun was out all day and I spent a good part of the afternoon mad at Matt for pushing us to run a 5K rather than a long run. That feeling was compounded when it proceeded to rain HARD all day Friday and Saturday. BOO!

I got my 10 miler in today. Long runs make me crazy. I dream up overly ambitious training schedules and goals for myself. I've already scaled back the plan I made on my last crazy long run. I've also gotten used to running with an iPod. With all the street running, it helps me distract myself from how much running next to a busy road sucks.

What I realized in the last few weeks is that I have totally no motivation to go long without a training plan. Last week I put one together (crazy hard that made my legs sore just looking at) and began to follow it. I'm also building goals for 2010. First big race : Green Bay Marathon. Want to join me?

No comments: