In the two weeks leading up to the Three Bridges Half Marathon, I was the furthest from rested that I could possibly be. After the surprisingly good day I had at the last half, I decided to at least start out at a brisk pace and see how it felt. It was a beautiful cool race start and I figured I didn't have anything to lose, especially since this was just one of the half marathons I would be running this fall (three in all, final one on Oct. 20 on our home course).
The first few miles flew by in a blur. Even though this race was over 150 miles from home, Matt and I have traveled to do a few long runs here on the Sacramento River Trail in Redding. In fact, my all-time best long run happened here, just six months ago. As I powered along through the first few miles, I told myself to save a little bit for the steep hill near mile 5. I always have to walk it on my long runs, so I held back a little. After two miles in, it was a gradual 400 ft. uphill to that steep spot. I told myself that the unlike most races, the first half would be the most difficult. Just hold it together until then and then we'll go back downhill for the second half.
![]() |
| slightly pornographic race course |
(all laps are with race mile markers)
Mile 1: 7:38.
Mile 2: 7:57.
This race is put on by the Redding Lions Club and all the race officials had their club vests on. They cheered us on and directed our turns on the course. About 2.5 miles in, a volunteer stood in middle of the path I thought we were supposed to go down. Since I'm not completely familiar with the maze of trails nearby, I just followed the person ahead of me and thought we'd connect to the River Trail again somewhere later. When the woman I was following reached a large parking lot and called out to me, "do you see the arrows?" I knew we were off course. We caught up to a dozen runners that turned around and we began turning people back. "Wrong way!" we shouted, only half of the runners realizing what we were saying. A few runners angrily scolded the Lion that had directed us the wrong way. That added about 0.9 mi. to my day.
Mile 3: 13:48. (Actual: 1.85 mi.)
Mile 4: 8:09.
After that, I decided that with the way I was feeling and the extra distance, I knew I'd at least get a solid day in, I planned for 15 miles on the day anyway and figured this would just mean less miles after I was done. No big deal. I found a runner ahead of me and decided to keep myself glued to him for as long as I could.
![]() |
| D. Huddleston photo credit. |
Mile 5: 7:56.
Mile 6: 8:28.
Mile 7: 8:24.
Mentally, miles 5-7 were the worst. I crested the steep hill I had been saving some energy for with ease. When I got to the top, I wondered to myself, this isn't it is it? My split slowed dramatically, but I didn't walk any of it for the first time ever! Win!
![]() |
| D. Huddleston photo credit. |
Mile 8: 8:04.
Mile 9:8:19.
Now running directly into the unshaded sun, I felt it first in my fingers. My hands swelled up like sausages. I could no longer bend my fingers, so I ran along with robotic stiff hands. Shortly after that, I began feeling dizzy and could only think of stopping to sleep in the grass. I've done enough hot races and when this happens, all the warning alarms go off in my head.
I caught up to the man ahead of me at the aid station. He smiled and as he grabbed his second cup of water said, "It sure is heating up today, huh?" When I reached for my second cup, I dumped it over my head. The volunteer manning the station looked on curiously. "I'm sweating just standing here," she said.
My sausage fingers were causing enough discomfort that they begged me to stop for a shower at the two drinking fountains I found on my way to mile 10. I obliged. For the next mile, my fingers couldn't stop praising me for my charitable act. It was then I realized I was just running in "don't faint" mode. Thankfully, the majority of the last 5K was again in the shade, but it was already too late. I was kinda fried.
Mile 10: 9:21.
Mile 11: 8:31.
I hit the last aid station and again the volunteer commented on how the day was heating up quickly. Although it reaches well into the triple digits in the summer in Redding, this time of year it is unusual for it to be almost 75F at 10am. "I guess I better hurry up and finish before it gets any hotter!" I told him.
Mile 12: 9:09.
![]() |
| I look like death but somehow still have decent form. |
Matt was waiting for me near mile 12 and I was surprised by how much of a boost his company was. When we reached my Garmin's half marathon point, I noted the time, 1:46, just over the 8:00/mi. I had adjusted my goal to after learning about our bonus mile for the day. Considering the way I was struggling with the heat, I was happy with that. I really need to choose my destination races more carefully, I told Matt. He ran along in jeans and a t-shirt, making my race pace seem like a walk. When we crossed the Sundial Bridge for the final time, he sped off ahead and said he'd see me at the finish.
Mile 13: 8:14.
When the finish clock came into view I remembered something Lanore had asked us after the Medford race: "Couldn't you have taken just 18 seconds off (to Matt) and finished in 1:19(rather than 1:20:17) ?" I noticed the clock ticking 50 seconds, 51, 52. I dashed off in a sprint that I didn't even know I had and I crossed the finish line in 1:53:58. One never knows when inspiring thoughts will pop into one's head. Thanks Lanore! :)
1:53:58.
14 miles (Garmin distance)**
8:07/mi.
**Normally I don't adjust anything for what my Garmin says I did, I just go with what the race distance is. But when the race distance is clearly wrong, this is the best gauge of performance I can get.
Unsurprisingly, there was a huge gap in the results between 1:32 and 1:40. The first dozen finishers were locals and knew the course, not taking the mile detour some of us did. Because not everyone completed the extra portion, gun time was official, and only profound apologies were given at the award ceremony.
Surprisingly, my finish time netted me first place in my age group. That just made all the suffering worth it. Cherry on top of a satisfying day.
Or was it?
While we waited for our blizzards at Dairy Queen, we noticed they had a big screen TV with the Packers vs. Lions game on. Okay, clearly my day just kept getting better!
We stopped at a park on the drive home and grilled some burgers while trying to stay out of the sun. For the first few hours after the race, my body was clearly out of whack. Normally I don't enjoy pickles from the jar or Gatorade, but I had both. My temperature seesawed from goosebumps in the sun at 85F to shivering moments later. There was no question that I gave my best (safe) effort at the race that morning.
![]() |
| We seriously know how to BBQ feast. |
*Other than the confused volunteer, this race was great. I'm sure the race will not have that issue next year. From the volunteers to the other racers, I enjoyed the welcoming hometown feel of this race. If you're ever looking for a cheap ($35 pre-reg, $50 race day) fall half marathon, you should give the Three Bridges Half a try.....just be a little more acclimated to the heat than I was! :)











8 comments:
I am renewing my vow never to do a race the same year as you, because the weather will be terrible. Nice job keeping it together in the heat and after such a big mental setback.
I laughed at the race course photo caption:)
Alicia
Oh the poor Lion volunteer. I'm sure she feels terrible. (My husband is a Lion. I always ask him if he will put on the sexy vest. NOT. Ha ha)
Good job pulling it together though! I love that Matt ran next to you in jeans.
Oh my goodness. So sorry about the detour. I almost went the wrong way at one point in my trail half and instantly thought of you and all your bad a$$, crazy, hilly, wild trails, and wondered how you do it.
WOW! Congrats on the 1st place! That's awesome - and I'm sure it felt amazing, given the tough conditions!
Awesome race, congrats on the first-place age-group finish. That is so cool. Love the report, too, especially your optimistic, kickin' attitude. It's hard to imagine that there are places in the country that are still hot. (I wore my winter jacket when I walked the dog tonight.) Good luck on your upcoming half marathons.
Alicia, I wish that you were the first one to say that to me. I'm really bad at choosing races, I guess. Matt is going to decide on our spring marathon and I'm just going to go for it...hopefully that means his weather karma and not mine.
Mary, Matt was spectating at the spot the Lion was at. He said he wanted to slink away home before anybody could see him. I felt bad for him too.
Abby, I routinely get lost on trail races (of my own fault), but this was a first on a road race.
Thanks Meghan!
Cinthia, Thanks. It was definitely easier having a good attitude when it was just one of a few halves for the fall. Had it been my goal race, I might have felt differently. I didn't expect it could be that hot, that's why I chose it! Crazy that some places get into the upper 80s this time of year still. Any snow for you yet?
Although 75 is nowhere near a "hot" day for me, unexpectedly warm weather can definitely throw a wrench in a race plan (as can a 1 mile detour)...way to keep your head about you, stay positive, and keep moving as safely as possible. This race location looks beautiful, too - I'm lovin' the idea of the packed-dirt trails right about now! :)
I am also realizing that we share a love for Dairy Queen. :)
Holly, that's true. I've lived in both the heat of Oklahoma and the frigid winters of Alaska and learned that it is all about acclimation. I live on the northern California coast now and our highs range from 50-60F everyday. Perfect for training year round, but horrible for racing out of the area. Anything outside of that temp range, particularly the warmer end, affects my racing quite a bit.
Glad to hear there are more DQ obsessed people around!!. :) My husband asked me why I don't take photos of all of our DQ trips. I told him that I don't want to admit how many times we actually go there. hehe.
Post a Comment