Usually, I push myself on this route, but not today. I was coming down with some sort of stomach bug and felt off all day. Running was the last thing I wanted to do, but Matt and I had been trying to coordinate schedules with our running club buddy, Lanore for nearly a month.
Lanore, a very experienced road runner, had just taken up trail running. Every time I've seen her this summer, she's suggested we get together for a trail run and brainstorm ideas for creating our club's own long trail run. As we casually ran along the wide gravel path to the Elk River bridge crossing, our enthusiastic ideas flowed freely as the river. We decided that we would have proposed routes and dates for our race by the first of the year, and then we'd propose it to the club board of directors (if it is a club race, we get to use their RRCA insurance!!)
We danced playfully up that 1,5000 ft. climb to the old growth like it wasn't a big deal at all. Running slowly enough to keep the conversation going, I was surprised when we reached the top. "Here already?" I thought.
We zoomed along on the loop through the giant trees, snapping a few photos as we went along. Just the day before the run, I'd read an article about the trail user survey they did here. Less than 10% of visitors make it to the end of the trail and enjoy this, undoubtedly the best part of the whole thing.
Fortunately for us, the trail remains in pristine condition and provides solitude that few other trails so close to town afford. As a hike, I'm sure it hardly feels worth the effort to go 11.5 miles for just this mile lollipop loop at the top. But for a run, it is perfect: three miles gentle warmup, two climbing, the mile of awesome Redwoods at the top, two miles fabulous descent, and then three back out to the parking area. It is the closest trail to my house, so it is easy enough to get out here during the week. When my mid-week runs get above ten miles, I often find myself here instead of pounding the miles on pavement.
As we reached the final mile of the trail and headed west, the sun lowered enough to filter through and illuminate the normally benign section of trail. As frequently happens at these lower sun angles, the best view was behind us. Lanore had me run back and forth on the trail so she could get a picture. She definitely trail runs the way we do. Back and forth, get a good shot, back and forth, oops, the settings were wrong. Try again. No wonder our trail runs are so slow, right?
![]() |
| Is that my aura? |
It was the perfect way to start off Matt's work week (even though everyone else thought it was Friday). Lanore is definitely an entertaining running buddy, hopefully our training schedules will line up more in the future. Both of us are running the half in Medford (later this month) and CIM (again, remember when I ran into her unexpectedly at the race last year?).
11 mi.
2:06:38.
11:31/mi.
about 1,800 ft. climbing.



5 comments:
Snarl. Another cool redwoods run. So. Jealous.
That sounds like an awesome route, and a cool locale for a race!
It looks so ridiculously beautiful. While we certainly don't have the same scenery in Chicago, I am definitely interested in more trail running in the future. It just seems so peaceful:)
No see, these are the trails I want. I will run happily slow on them.
I've been running in the redwoods for three years and I'm still not sick of them. They're almost as awesome as running in the mountains!!
Post a Comment