Sunday, June 16, 2013

Dow's PRairie 6.1 Mile Race Report

As Matt and I manned the race registration table in the gravel parking area adjacent to Clam Beach, we shivered in the light drizzle.  The ocean air always feels thickest in the morning around here.  We were soon relieved of our volunteer duties to warm up for the race.  


Bob called out as we passed him on our pre-race jog, “This is the kind of weather that makes you a wussie,” he said.  In last month’s club newsletter, I did a short write-up of the Green Bay Marathon:  “Humboldt has made me a big wussie to the heat so I took it easy and finished in 4:00:39”.  I eventually realized that is what he was referencing and it brought a goofy smile to my face.  This was the perfect running weather: 50F, drizzle, and a light breeze.  
On the same flour line across Clam Beach Road, the 6.1 mi and 2 mi races began simultaneously, with the two mile runners running south in the southbound lane and the almost 10K runners heading north in the northbound lane.  I’ve never seen any other race done like this, it was pretty fun.  It also ensures that everyone finishes the race coming from the same direction.

Last year, this was the race I had a surprisingly good day.  Within our core group of regular runners, I can always tell approximately how I am doing based off other runners.  It is interesting seeing who has what strengths.  Surprisingly, one of mine is hills.  I don’t have a lot of top-end speed for 5Ks, but I have strong legs and the hills don’t murder me like they do the fasty-pants people that leave me in the dust on flat races.  I chatted a little with Rachele, a strong consistent runner that finishes a few minutes ahead of me.  I told her I’d try to keep up with her today.  It is kinda my goal to beat her at one race by the end of the year, but shhh!  Don’t tell her.  It’s a secret. 

We began with most of the first mile in a flat roadway. The perfect warm up for the next part: a gain of over 200 ft. in a quarter of a mile.  I think part of the reason I love this race is that I run solely on effort and don’t really look at the watch, it is freeing in that way.  Even effort, I told myself as I climbed the first hill.  Tiptoes, stand tall.  Don’t worry about anybody else’s pace.  Some people were already walking and I passed at least 10 people on that hill alone.  After that, we mostly kept the same position.  From the beginning, I saw Rachele take off at a 7:15/mi pace and thought, “Oh well, so much for sticking with her today.”

Thankfully, each descent into two more ravines was gentle enough to make up time.  I kept an even effort and took short steps.  Then at the bottom of both of those ravines, we rounded a corner and were met with a surprise uphill that rivaled the first one in steepness but was a little shorter.   I was surprised to see that Rachele was just ahead after one of those corners, maybe I could hang with her after all?  Or at least keep her in my sights, right?
When the race course leveled out and we emerged from the protected lush country road and onto the airport road, we were met with a moderate headwind.  Last year, here was where I picked it up.  With the wind, I think it took out a little of my oomph.  It also brought the wonderful smell of road kill skunk from over half a mile away.  Yum.  
The final downhill portion was fun and I flew, running what I think was my fastest mile ever in a race: about a 6:55.  It brought my overall pace down nicely.  I hoped to hold something like that for the flat mile at the end.
I tried to close the gap between Rachele and I but just as she hit the flat portion of Clam Beach Rd. to the finish line, she laid out the most fantastic finish kick ever and I struggled to hold on.  I was pushing hard and it felt as though my intestines were going to fall out.  My vision became fuzzy and tunnel-like and I slowed it down a little to keep from fainting.  I didn’t get any mile splits, but I’m assuming this one was just over 7:00, but wow, it wasn’t much fun.  She beat me by almost 20 seconds, but I was the next person behind.

I crossed the finish line with a PR smile on my face in 47:03, a 7:43/mi pace, a new best by 48 seconds.  With almost 400 ft. of climbing, I am more than happy with that.  There is talk of remeasuring this course and making it a true 10K for next year.  Maybe this one will help me lower my 10K PR over the Patrick’s Point course (which is equally hilly, but hills are arranged differently—this one more plays to my strengths I think).

Matt ran a fantastic race and almost beat his circuit rival whom races under the name of Optimus Prime.  He took 4th overall and ran 37:56, a 6:19/mi pace.

All photos included this post are Y. Kim credit, SRRC.

2 comments:

meghan said...

Congrats on a great race. How cool to be able to clock a mile sub 7. And nice job holding on at the end. One day you'll get her!

Cinthia said...

I love the beginning photo of two sets of racers running in opposite directions. What a great idea. And congrats on your PR. I had to laugh when you mentioned shivering from the drizzle. That's Alaska weather. Except it 83 right now (!!). I haven't shivered in weeks, which is totally okay with me. Cheers and happy running.