Monday, December 10, 2012

Blue Lake Fish Hatcher 4 Mile Not Race

Sunday were the running club’s final races of the series and of 2012: the Fish Hatchery 2 and 4 Mile, just one week after CIM.  After a marathon, I start running again pretty quickly, but I don’t add back hard running for a couple of weeks.  I felt like I used up all of my competitiveness on CIM, so I promised myself that I could run the Hatchery 4 miler for fun.  After running the Arcata Bottoms 3 Miler as a warm-up, I realized how difficult it was to keep myself in check, so I set out on a new plan: find buddies and run with them.

The four mile race passed quickly.  Sunshine, smiles, high fives, and the chatting of friends I hadn’t seen in weeks filled each step.  It was the first time in over five years that I ran a race without a watch.  It was liberating to not care about my time.  
All smiles near the finish with Tracy and Tanya.
Of course, other club members knew just how hard to rub in their speed.  “Look Harry!!  I think this is the first time I’ve ever passed Karen in a race!!”  Gary shouted loudly, just so I would hear.  Thanks guys.  Here’s your freebie win over me, enjoy. Of course he was joking and knew why I was running slowly.
The most wonderful part of the day wasn’t about me at all.  Terri, one of the two surviving women from the hit and run accident in September was there.  In order to complete our club’s circuit, one must run six races.  As of last week, Terri had five.  Tracy, Tanya and I passed her about mile 2.  We cheered and applauded her.  A wide smile crossed her face as she said, “I just walked a mile!”  She still gets around with a cane and can walk a limited amount of time, but she was out there, getting her final race of the season.  
We passed her again on the home stretch of the out-and-back course.  We chatted a little bit, she shooed us off to finish our race, and then turned to her husband, who was pushing her wheelchair, “Faster!  Faster!”  She insisted on walking herself across the finish line.  I admire her spirit.  
4 Miles, 35:31. 8:52/mi.
AG win!
All photos: Y. Kim credit, SRRC.

4 comments:

Scott said...

If I may say, the humility is really cool. Chilling and smiling with people of like minds and spirits. You have a different goal,but taking it down and spreading the vibe...I think it comes back to us.

Mary said...

Hey, I could run with you at that pace! Glad you can be human once in a while :) Kidding...But I do love running w/out a watch. Of course, it's kinda depressing for me to run with one these days. Hurray for Terri, too.

meghan said...

Congrats on the AG win in the not race. How motivational to see people with that kind of resiliency!

misszippy said...

I think nothing feels better than a little redemption after a tough race (I had a bad CIM also). Good for you. Looked like a beautiful course, too!