Sunshine filter in my window as Matt removed the shade. I reluctantly dragged myself out of the bed. Typically, I jump out of bed easily when the sun asks nicely. It was just going to be that kind of day, I could feel it.
My hamstrings offered a little more flexibility during my warm-up, but after a very slow jog doubled my heart-rate, I knew it would be a slow day. If it weren't for the club circuit, I would have stayed in bed. I'm still holding the lead in my division so I can't stop racing now!! I scanned the signup papers and one other person appeared to be my competition, only wish I knew what she looked like so I could stay just ahead of her.
This race is, by far, the hardest race in the club's race series. Touting over 1,000 ft. of climbing over a measly 5.5 miles means it is steep. Not the ideal way to spend my recovery day.
Not half a mile into the race, my usual pack of runners disappeared. It was discouraging to hit the gas and have no acceleration. Tanya passed me, "Don't walk the hills!!" I begged her to carry me, but she declined.
Even though I knew I wasn't going to be fast, I gave the race all I had. I walked up nearly all the hills after mile 2 and blasted down the other side as fast as my sore and stiff legs could handle. Brian, another of those fabulous masters runners, and I traded the lead. "I ran this course in reverse yesterday as a tempo run. No power today whatsoever," he explained. I replied with, "I went 21 miles yesterday, so this is mostly a mental training run for me."
I enjoyed how the course moved up and down along the contours of the hillside. Redwood trees of varying size flew by. Other than Brian, nobody was nearby. It provided a peaceful contrast to my pounding heart beat.
Mile 5 was a long downhill back to the finish. I caught up to another runner that mumbled something about her knees. She wore two patella straps and the downhills were probably pretty jarring. Ouch. On one last uphill, I let her pass on the narrow singletrack trail and she took off.
When I finally oriented myself enough to realize the finish was nearby, the girl was about 100 yards ahead of me. I'd spent the entire race calmly accepting that I would be passed by many people, but seeing her just ahead of me brought out fierce inside. I broke into a sprint. My face twisted into a warrior grimace. If I had anything to say about it, I would beat her.
Adrenaline surged through my legs, giving them more life than I have seen in awhile. I sprinted, closing the gap quickly. All my usual competition turned to cheer yet nobody told her I was there. I assume she heard me coming from behind like a dying freight train because she picked up the pace and she beat me by a stride. We finished with the same time. At least she wasn't in my age division. That minute sprint was just enough to give me a raging runner's high.
55:26, 10:04/mi.
1,023 ft. of elevation gain.
First in my age group. wooo :)
Matt was pretty beat up too. He finished about 10 seconds off from last year's time (he felt good then), so he was happy with his time of 42:10 (just under an 8:00/mi) and place of fifth overall, he also took his AG. Next year, he will take over as race director. He's already looking over the topographic map to figure out how to make it even harder. I'm sure everyone will love that.
Photo credit: Y. Kim, SRRC.






3 comments:
I love that you can feel totally beat up and still finish strong. Great job!
I cant imagine racing after a 21 mile day.
Great race! And I LOVED your 21-mile run with the cows report. Too funny! I had a 14-miler like that last winter, only no berries to pick so I ended up eating snow. (Also loved the pic with the cows and your aching calves.)
Glad you redeemed yourself with a strong race finish.
Post a Comment