From the moment we parked our car at the Mount Ashland Ski Lodge, the view was spectacular. After we picked up our numbers, Matt and I spent the remaining time staring at the Siskiyou Mountains to the south. The lodge sits at approximately 7,300 ft. and is the highest mountain in the area. As the day went on and the smoke from the Big Flat Fire (we drove through on Thursday) was pushed back to the south, views of 14,179 ft. Mt. Shasta only got better and better.
Before we knew it, the race had begun. The first mile was downhill and traveled along a dirt road. Just after that, all 300 runners were jammed into a single-track trail. Traffic jams occurred immediately and the first few miles were spent at a very slow pace. It was impossible for me to start out too fast, so I really loved this aspect.
We traveled along the Pacific Crest Trail, which crews had swept of debris last week specifically for this race. Every mile was a new landscape. We found ourselves traveling through burned areas, open scree mountainsides and alpine areas with blooming flowers in all hues. The area prompted the playing of “Sound of Music” in my head.
By mile six, we followed the steep and unrelenting downhill of the trail. I made a mental note of this spot. This would also be miles 22-24 and probably destroy my overall pace.
Matt and I stuck together for most of the race only separating when he made half a dozen bathroom stops. Guy drinks too much before and stops on every long race he’s done and still somehow manages to run a 3hr marathon. That’s what you call Talent. Anyways, I spent most of that time running with Tanya or Michele. We were never more than a few minutes apart and could almost always see the others along the trail. It was really nice having several other runners to share this experience with us.
The forested low areas brought us tall Douglas Fir trees and many scrub plants. The bald hilltops were covered in grass or scree. I couldn’t believe how variable this course was. Matt and I continually passed Tanya and Michele when they stopped at the aid stations. Tanya is pretty competitive and I think it was her goal for the day to beat us. When she realized all the time she lost at the aid stations, she skipped the last few. She’s also a very chatty runner, but when she was pushing hard through the second half of the race, she ran silently, putting all her energy into the run. This was also her first ultra.
The course moved to a wide gravel service road. It was nice to relieve the traffic congestion on the course, but it was also a bit discouraging. I could see so far ahead, but it seemed to take forever getting there. I alternated walking with running and pictured myself back on the Equinox Marathon course, climbing to the top of Ester Dome. This felt slower.
When we reached the halfway and race turn-around, I realized that I would probably destroy my goal of 6:45-7:15 if I could hold it together, but I admit I didn’t hold much hope for it, as my sinuses felt ready to burst with the pressure. Surprisingly, I never got a headache from the altitude as Matt complained of his. I hadn’t filled the antibiotic script yet because the meds make me more prone to sunburn. And even though I apply copious amounts of sunscreen, I still manage to sweat it all off and didn’t stop at many aid stations to see if I could re-apply (Matt later said that one he stopped at did have it, oh well). I will fill that prescription soon as a gift to my poor recovering body. A really cute hippie boy filled my water pack as I shopped for goodies at the halfway aid station. I grabbed a handful of peanut M&Ms and some Oreos. The air was dry and I had trouble eating them without lots of water in my refilled pack. It almost felt like I was on the verge of drinking too much.
By mile 20, I noticed that I had forgotten to add the electrolyte tab to my new pack of water. The dry air evaporated my sweat quickly and I found my face, hands, and arms covered in a fine layer of salt. Suddenly, my typical diet of sugar-sugar-sugar put my body off balance and I got a stomachache so fierce that I nearly vomited several times all because I forgot to add that second tab to my water.
Matt decided to stop at the mile 21 aid station and I continued on, knowing that he’d catch me in no time. Mile 22 began the 1,000 foot climb. I was reduced to a walk. I slumped over horribly for 45 minutes walking those few miles back to 7,000 ft. and it took a huge hit on my pace and body. This was the first spot I had to stop and walk on my own choice. I even had to stop and stretch my legs and back. It sucked a lot. With a three mile hill like this one, it almost guaranteed a bonk from every participant. Combining my fatigue, poor posture, and altitude, I found myself gasping for oxygen that just wouldn’t come. Tanya told us her son mentioned during a high elevation hike earlier this week that his “head was playing drums”. Yes, you’re totally right. A headache finally accompanied my desperate breaths.
We also noticed that our fingers swelled up as the temperatures grew warmer. I mentioned to Matt that I was glad I didn’t wear my wedding band because it would be stuck. He held out his hand, showing me his band, and tried to remove it with no luck. “Looks like you’re stuck with me forever! MWAHAHAHA!” I teased.
Eventually the trail leveled out long enough to catch my breath. I always am surprised at how my body can be completely wrecked one minute and then totally fine the next. We continued along the trail. Matt took one last bathroom break at mile 28 and I continued on without him. He mentioned that he might not catch up. I spent some of the final miles walking and waiting for him so I wouldn’t have to stand just short of the finish line so we could cross it together. He appeared less than a mile later.
The final mile was again on that dirt service road and uphill. A small group of spectators had appeared there and it really sucked to run past them and then have to walk while they cheered. Music and the finish came into view. Matt and I picked up the pace, not enough to catch Tanya (I could see her about 200 ft. ahead of me the last 8 miles!!), but we found another runner, sprinted past her in an all-out dash. She didn’t even see it coming. I felt a little bad about that later…but only a little.
Matt and I crossed the finish line in 6:18.59, giving him a new PR (although he doesn’t care since he always runs them with me) and my second fastest 50K time. It was 11 minutes slower than my PR and much hillier.
Michele finished in 6:11, Tanya in 6:18. Since the weather was so beautiful and the views were spectacular, we watched the rest of the 50K racers finish and some of the 50 Mile runners (their course travels all the way to California and back!) cross the line. I love how laid-back the trail running community is. Everyone from the front racers to the slowpokes share their adventures. Some of us come out with PRs, some covered in dirt and blood, but we all end up with a great day in a really beautiful place. That kind of rocks.
6:18.59
12:10/mi pace
about 5,000 ft. of climbing
entire course from about 5,800 ft to 7,500 ft. (a pretty big deal for me since I live at sea level)
F20-29 6/13
Overall 133/226
Female 43/89
many smiles,
great views,
candy fest,
and a wonderful husband by my side.












7 comments:
What a gorgeous course! I love that you and Matt run together for the most part. What a cool experience to share.
And you just keep getting stronger and stronger - all that with sinus crud? CONGRATS!
(hope you are feeling better after your antibiotics kick in :) )
Nice work. I like "although he doesn't care since he always runs them with me". Very cool. Great attitudes all around. Shasta looks very impressive.
Ooh can't wait to backpack that pct section. It looks incredible. You did great! I cant imagine running that far.
That's a beautiful course! Congrats, you had a great time, at altitude, with sinus crap, madness!!
Omg, could I be any more behind on blogs? I think not! I was thinking about your 50k and here you went and ran a 5k soon after that I just read.
Okay so this race - wow! I run in some beautiful country here in Colorado but that race was so GREEN - something I don't get to see much of. So gorgeous!
I had to laugh at your husband's need to pee frequently :).
Hills with severe elevation gain quickly are just insane to try to run up for us mere mortals. It does suck but it's necessary for survival - you did great! I am very impressed with your overall time and sending you a really big High Five! Congratulations to you and your husband - that is such an accomplishment!! :)
I love this, Karen! What a perfect account of that glorious day! I Love the pictures! Am I really a chatty runner?? Ha Ha... J/K. Lets do another one!!!
Post a Comment