Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Windy 20 recovery run


Going into the first 20 miler of this training cycle, we knew it wouldn’t be fast.  Less than 24 hours after a 10 mile race, it was bound to feel more like a 30 mile run than a 20.  Running along the coastal Hammond Trail during a wind advisory for that 20 miler, we knew it wouldn’t be fast.  So I did something I have never done on a 20 mile long road run: I ignored the pace.  Shocking, right?  I abandoned any expectation of a finish time (usually I like to finish under 3 hrs for 20 milers).  We reversed our usual route and started in the north, hoping to head into that 30 mph (gusts to 55) wind for the first ten miles rather than the last. 
 


We stepped out onto the Clam Beach portion of the trailhead.  Sand blew across the parking lot.  Every plant quivered in the wind.  I recently took up running with sunglasses and it makes running in the wind so much more tolerable.  I am a huge pussy with running in the wind, especially when I try to keep a pace.  I let my energy level be my guide and it felt wonderful.  Of course, I was already battling sore quads from Foggy Bottoms, but it was a soreness that never increased nor decreased.  If I had run based on my pace, I surely would have turned this into a terrible nightmare of a run.
 
The wind whipped us around and although my backpack was firmly strapped to my back, it somehow still acted as a kite and pulled me northward.  The biggest problem I have running into the wind is when the gusts let up or I hit an unexpected calm spot and I nearly topple over.  At mile 7, we descended off the coastal bluffs to the Bottoms.   
 
The Bottoms is a pancake flat area filled with dairy farmers.  This was the worst of the wind.  Nary a tree to protect us, it was incredibly loud.

There are hazards to running on a windy day.  Don't let your Matthew blow away!!!
PS- Turn the sound up really loud before playing the video to get the full effect.
 My running cap usually blocks out sounds, so much that Matt often complains when I have him repeat what he’s saying when I’m wearing it.  Through my hat, the wind filtered into my ears, in full stereo sound, a loud wooshing sound.  Matt and I stopped talking.  Keeping conversation was hopeless when we couldn’t hear each other anyways.  I thought of a race report I had read that morning.  Geoff Roes chronicled his account of this year’s Iditarod Trail Invitational.  If you haven’t read about this year’s race, I strongly encourage you to do so.  It makes everyday runner struggles seem trivial.  A few Fairbanks friends have done this race in the past (and not in the blizzard that was this year) and they all agree: one time is enough.  Thinking about a week-long slog through deep snow in the wilderness, I decided that the wind today really wasn’t that bad.  Not that bad, even when the crosswind bashed one leg into the other and I almost fell over.  Even when the blowing wind came down my throat so hard that it took my breath away.  Even when running into the crosswind, the wind filled my mouth into a pocket sail in my cheek.  Not that bad.  I had it easy today.
 
When we turned around at mile 10, I thought it would become easier.  We still battled crosswinds until we left the bottoms at about mile 13.  Branches and leaves chased us from behind, the wind guiding them in their pursuit.  Cows in the fields mooed in discontent.  Some laid flat on the ground in hopes of somehow feeling less of the breeze.  A burly bearded walker commented, “It’s a little breezy today, huh?”.  The fatigue in my entire body worsened and I almost hated the fact that the wind didn’t push me entirely into the right direction.  We walked some, we ran some. 
 
At mile 18, the trail opened to an ocean overlook.  The waves, dark with stirred up silt seemed angry.  The white cap waves crested with a white spray as the wind shaved the top layer from them.  It wasn’t the ideal time for a long run, or a great pace, or a great day for anything but staying inside, but I finished with a smile on my face.  I got the 20 miles in today and a little bit more mental power to pack away for when Green Bay is super windy again this year.
 

2 comments:

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

Great job completing what seems like a really challenging run - especially right after a 10 mile race!

Mary said...

So I read this yesterday while staring outside at the whiteout, 30 mph winds and several inches of new snow. It shamed me into running and saved me from treadmill awfulness. So, thanks.