Monday, August 15, 2011

Hammond Trail Half Marathon

During the entire week leading up to the race, I considered my goals. Since the race was just seven days after the longest run and the course had some hills, I really didn't think that I should go for a PR. This race is free to club members, so I couldn't NOT run it at all. No, it would just be a good workout, whether I got a PR or not. So I devised some goals:
1. Run at MRP (8:23/mi) for a 1:49.
2. Easy 9:00/mi for 1:56.
3. Be really slow and run 9:09/mi for a 2:00.

This was one of the few distance races that I got to sleep in my own bed. I slept like a baby. Race morning, over our large cups of coffee, Matt announced he would go for a PR since he thought he slept really well.

As we stood in line for registration, the club secretary came up to Matt. "Hey there slow guy." He thinks Matt rocks. :)

Then the gun went off. The three mile and half marathon races began simultaneously. Runners of the short race took off without me. It was hard to resist the pull of their speed. After the first mile, a slight downhill slope, my shins were stiff. It was uncomfortable, but doable. The crowd thinned and just one guy in his 30s was left running next to me. "Please tell me this isn't your half pace", he said, breaking the silence. "Sure it is, just over an 8:00/mi", I replied. His eyes widened, "Woah". I felt like Wonder Woman.

Near mile 2, the gentle slope became more steep. The decline continued until mile 5 as I ran along Clam Beach Road. I tried to catch the ponytail ahead of me. She was running at an impressively steady pace. I just couldn't catch her.

At mile 6, Matt and the leaders had caught up to me. I gave him a quick high five as he passed. He was fifth overall. Then I made sure to count the girls. I was sixth girl, and most likely first in my age group, since all of them were 40-50 years old. Then the woman I was trying to catch turned around, and it was a man. A dude with the long, flowing ponytail. I felt kinda silly. 42:00 (7:58/mi) at the halfway point. I could make a 1:44 if I kept this pace! But the remaining miles were uphill. My original goals were officially abandoned here. I decided to push it until I could push no more and then recover at MRP for the rest.

Nearing the aid station at mile 8, the volunteer cheered me on. I stopped to catch my breath and drink. Then when I took off again, he cheered once more. This began the tough part. It all culminated in a half mile, 250 ft. gravel climb up to the bluff from the beach at mile 10. I slowed on my way up the hill. Then, doubled over in dry heaves and side stitches, I had to walk the rest. Nearing the top, I could hear someone behind me breathing so loudly that it sounded like heaves. Two women. Right behind me. One in a hot pink running skirt. They passed me. I'm normally only competitive with myself, but something internally snapped. I had to catch them.

Miles 11 and 12, I stayed close behind, only to go further behind when I had to walk on yet another uphill. (out and backs with a downhill on the first half are just cruel) Knowing the course from all of my GBM training runs, I knew that the finish was not much further away.

All I could think about was beating those two girls. My insides churned in distress. Then I felt it, the overwhelming urge to poo. What? NOW!? I slowed a little to hold it in. Things settled up a little inside of me and I sped up. About 100 yards from the finish line, I caught the two women. "You guys can do it! Race me to the end", I said through the heavy breathing. "Nope, it's all you. Go for it!" 1:45.46!

PR by 45 seconds! After my 65 mile week! After a 28 mi. long run! on a hilly course!

I dizzily stumbled across the finish line, grabbing a water bottle on my way by. My mom and Matt appeared. We cooled down a little before I could eat anything. I also hit the bathroom to take care of business and thanked God that I didn't have an accident at the finish line.

"I overheard Yoon (the guy that caught us in line) saying 'That Karen girl is a great runner. Those Eureka girls are really fast.' He thinks you rock...but I do too", Mom commented. It was nice having my mom there to watch us race. A rarity when we live 1,500 miles apart.

An aside : Photos and other things will be added when company leaves on Wednesday. Check back then! :)

6 comments:

bobbi said...

You are outstanding!! Holy smokes! Congrats on a terrific race AND your PR!

Danni said...

Congrats that's fantastic!

Ewa said...

You, Karen girl ARE a great runner. WOW!
Congrats on your PR.

Karen said...

Thanks ladies! I don't think of myself as a great runner though. I just do what I do and compete with myself. It's weird that some people think I'm fast, because I feel like I still have so much more room for improvement. :)

Teamarcia said...

That Karen girl IS a great runner! Fo sho! Wow! Fabulous PR and on a tough course too? You totally rock!

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

Great job on the race! I laughed about the guy with the ponytail!