Let me first start by clarifying, I have had ITBS in the past. It was at a time I was classified as a "recreational" runner, so I didn't mind taking time off while recovering and cutting back from 25 mi/week to 10-15. This time around, I've set some big goals for myself and don't want to see them disappear because of injury.
Taking emphasis off of my running plan for the week has been much easier than I thought it'd be.
Tuesday, I ran the five miles on trails and then did the 30 Day Shred to take the antsy edge off.
Yesterday, Matt and I found a minimally sloped road and ran 10 miles. 10 MILES! At about mile 9, I started to feel some pain in my knee. But before then, I was okay. Not perfect, but not altering my stride in pain either.
Today, I ran to a friend's house and back (3 miles) and did one of my favorite exercise videos, Sweatin' to the Oldies. This is the very same VHS tape that my mom used to get rid of the baby weight when my (now) 22 year old brother was born. It doesn't really give me much of a tough workout like the Shred does, but my friend said that the Shred was too hard for her right now, so we did this instead. I was in a hurry and even forgot to wear the Ariels and I wore my other (not as motion control) shoes instead.
I'm still going to try for a long run this weekend, but I will take each mile as it comes and stop if I have to, just like the 10. We started out with a general goal of "5-8, maybe more if my knee feels good" and went 10. I will continue to use the Ariel's on my runs until the pain is completely gone.
But this is great news!! On Sunday, I was really bummed and cranky, thinking I'd have to scrap my goals for awhile to rest up...but maybe not. I celebrated my painless 10 miler by registering for my March tune-up race, the Bidwell Half Marathon in Chico. :)
2 comments:
That is a really good news.
I am finding yoga very helpful for all my aches and pains. My muscles are very tight and need some serious stretching.
I don't know if you have a Sports Basement nearby, but they sell a thing called "The Stick". It is absolutely amazing and everytime I feel my knee start hurting, I roll my muscles and it goes away. It was like $30 for amazing relief. :)
Post a Comment